My Avatar

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Wahooo! Tool # 11:Self Assessing and Reflecting


1. What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools. 
There are so many cool tools that have opened my eyes to a more efficient and fun way of teaching. Three of them are Edmodo, Glogster and Skype. Edmodo is like Facebook but for the Educational World. Glogster is a very innovative tool that replaces the use of posters and markers. Students now will create digital posters!! (too cool!).   I would like to use Skype to get virtually connected with an author so students can personally ask them about the process he/she went to get the idea of the book, the research it took, and the writing and publish process. This is a great activity that will help the students connect reading with writing and inspire them to be better readers and writers as they transport themselves into the lives of authors and get their ideas. I got great ideas for this project from this link in Skype http://skypeanauthor.wetpaint.com/   and the success story of author Barbara Mahler virtual visit with a school in Cairo, Egypt about her book, The Hole in the Sky.  

2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner?
Wow! this is a total new educational world that requires a new perspective on how to teach the curriculum. By sure I will integrate more technology in my classroom by modeling in the first weeks how to use our new technology online tools and devices, and creating expectations for me and my students regarding the usage of these tools. I see my class now as a class without walls that can reach with the touch of a bottom the other side of the world to communicate ideas and to gather new information not found in our classrooms. This has been an amazing journey that has revolutionize my way of thinking about education in this 21st century, and it will keep me on my toes! So excited to start implementing what I learned with my students!

3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
I didn't know much about this new digital world. So amazing that there are sooo many tech tools that can be use for a fourth grade classroom, and it was cool to know about the deep web resources to research in the web! It was a great learning experience!

No comments: